The policy covers the amount which the insured becomes legally liable to pay as damages to third parties as a result of accidental death, bodily injury, loss or damage to the property belonging to a third party.
The legal cost and expenses incurred in defending the case with prior consent of the insurance company are also payable subject to certain terms and conditions.
One can insure more than one unit situated in different locations under a single policy. The policy offers a benefit of Retroactive period on continuous renewal of policy whereby claims reported in subsequent renewal but pertaining to earlier periods after first inception of the policy, also become payable.
Legal liability under the Law of Tort can arise under several circumstances on the insured’s premises for example:
- Collapse of building structure
- Accidental falling of fixtures
- Bad maintenance or poor housekeeping resulting in accident to visitors on the premises
- Accidental leakage of toxic substances which pollute the atmosphere and injures or kills people
How to claim
The term “liability” means responsibility and “legal liability” means responsibilities that can be enforced by law. Legal Liability may be classified into Criminal Liability and Civil Liability. Only Civil Liability claims are payable.
Civil Liability claims will arise if there is prima facie evidence of negligence by the insured resulting in injury or death to any third party or resulting in damage to property belonging to a person other than the insured.
Liability will be proved only when the following conditions are satisfied:
- Existence of duty of care
- Breach of this duty
- Injury suffered by a person or property damaged as a result of that breach:
- In case of any event likely to give rise to a liability claim as described above, the insurance company should be informed immediately by phone, email, fax or in writing.
- In case any legal notice or summons is received, it should be sent to the insurance company who will have the option of arranging the defense in the case.
- The event giving rise to the claim should have occurred during the period of insurance or retroactive period and the claim first made in writing against the insured during the policy period.
- The maximum amount payable including defense costs will be the “Any One Accident Limit” selected. The “Any One Year Limit” will get reduced by the amount of claim or indemnity paid for any one accident. Any number of such claims made during the policy period will be covered subject to the total indemnity not exceeding the “Any One Year Limit”.
The policy will not pay for claims arising out of contractual liability, property worked upon, ships, aircraft and vehicles, intentional non-compliance of any statutory provision, loss of goodwill, slander, fines, penalties, libel, false arrest, defamation, mental injury etc.
DO NOT : make any admission, offer or promise or payment without written consent of Insurers.
Note: Policy details given are indicative, not exhaustive. Please contact your nearest FICO office for further details.