The policy covers all types of vehicles operating on public roads such as:

  • Scooters & Motorcycles
  • Private cars
  • All types of commercial vehicles
  • Motor Trade (vehicles in show rooms and garages)

As per the Motor Vehicles Act 1989 it is mandatory for every owner of a vehicle operating on public roads to take out an insurance policy that covers the amount which the owner becomes legally liable to pay as damages to third parties as a result of accidental death, bodily injury or damage to property. A Certificate of Insurance must be carried in the vehicle as a proof of such insurance.

Four types of cover are available:


Compulsory statutory cover for all motorists insuring against death and/or bodily injury for third parties. The policy covers the vehicle owner’s legal liability to pay compensation for death or bodily injury to a third party person.


Offers cover against accidental loss or damage to vehicles including loss or damage resulting from fire or      theft. This policy covers loss or damage to the insured vehicle and its accessories due to:

  • Fire, explosion, self-ignition or lightning
  • Burglary, housebreaking or theft
  • Riot and Strike
  • Malicious Act
  • Terrorist Act
  • Earthquake (Fire and Shock) Damage
  • Flood, Typhoon, Hurricane, Storm, Tempest, Inundation, Cyclone and Hailstorm
  • Accidental external means
  • Whilst in transit by road, inland waterway, lift, elevator or air
  • By landslide/Rockslide

The policy also pays for towing charges from the place of accident to the workshop. The important exclusions under the policies are:

  • Wear and tear, breakdowns
  • Consequential loss
  • Loss when driving with invalid driving license or under the influence of alcohol
  • Loss due to war, civil war, etc.
  • Claims arising out of contractual liability
  • Use of vehicle otherwise than in accordance with “limitations as to use” (e.g. private car being used as a taxi)


Protects against liability for damage to the property of others.


Covers “stationary” vehicles in show rooms, and those undergoing repair in garages against accidental damage, fire and theft including malicious damage.


Any vehicle owner whose vehicle is registered in his/her name with the National Transport Authority in Uganda.

How to claim

    In the event of an incident giving rise to a claim under the policy, the following steps should be followed:

  • In case of accidental damage to the vehicle:
  • Immediately notify the insurance company by phone, email, fax or in writing.
  • Submit a Claim Form duly filled in along with a copy of the drivers Driving License and Log Book for the vehicle at the time of accident and an Estimate of Repairs to the insurance company.
  • The vehicle will be surveyed by a Surveyor appointed by the insurance company and they shall submit the report to the insurance company. In case of major damage to the vehicle a spot survey at the site of accident will also be arranged by the insurance company.
  • Submit Final bills/cash memos duly signed by the insured.
  • Salvage of the damaged parts may be required to be deposited with the insurance company after approval of the claim.
  • In case of theft of the vehicle:
  • Report theft to the police immediately.
  • Immediately notify the insurance company by phone, email, fax or in writing.
  • Submit a Claim Form duly filled in and a Police Report to the insurance company.
  • Extend full cooperation to the surveyor and/or investigator appointed by the insurance company.
  • After approval of the claim by the company, get the Registration Certificate transferred in the name of the company, hand over the keys of the vehicle.
  • Submit a letter of Subrogation and Indemnity on stamped paper that is also duly notarized.

In case of liability claim:

  • Inform the insurance company immediately of any incident likely to give rise to liability claim.
  • On receipt of a summons from Court, the same should be sent to the insurance company immediately.
  • Submit a Claim Form duly filled in along-with copies of Driving License, Log Book and Police Report are to be submitted.

Note: Policy details given are indicative, not exhaustive. Please contact your nearest FICO office for further details.