The Policy covers all properties on land (excluding cost of land), moveable or immoveable, at various locations against fire and named perils.
PERIOD OF COVERAGE
- The Fire Policy is an annual policy, generally, renewable each year.
- The Fire Policy can be cancelled at any time during the period of coverage with suitable refund of premiums for any unexpired period.
WHO CAN TAKE OUT THE POLICY?
Any person / firm / organisation / institution who may suffer financial loss as a result of fire and allied perils. They may be broadly categorised as:
- Owners of Building and contents such as house hold articles, furniture etc.
- Shop Keepers
- Educational/ Research Institutions
- Hotels, Boarding and Lodgings, Hospitals, Clinics or such service providers
- Industrial and Manufacturing Firms
- Godown Keepers
- Bailees, Lessor, Lessee, Banks, Financial Institutions, Mortgagors, Mortgagees
- Traders in stocks
- Trustees, Charitable Institutions
- Transporters and C & F Agents
TYPES OF PROPERTIES COVERED
All moveable/ immoveable properties of the proposer on land (excluding those in transit) broadly categorised as follows:
1. Building (including plinth and foundations, if required):
- Whether completed or in course of construction (excluding the value of land)
- Interiors, Partitions and Electricals
2. Plant & Machinery, Equipments & Accessories (including foundations, if required):
- Bought Second hand
- Bought New
- Obsolete Machinery
- Raw Material
- Finished Goods
- In process
- In trade belonging to Wholesaler, Manufacturer and Retailer
4. Other Contents such as:
- Furniture, Fixtures and Fittings
- Cables, Pipings
- Spares, Tools and Stores
- Household goods etc.
5. Specific Items such as:
Bullion, unset precious stones, curios, work of arts, manuscripts, plans, drawings, securities, obligations or documents, stamps, coins or paper money, cheques, books of accounts, computer system records.
- Explosion / Implosion
- Aircraft damage
- Riot, Strike, Malicious damage (hereinafter called RSMD Perils)
- Storm, Tempest, Flood, Inundation, Hurricane, Cyclone, Typhoon and Tornado
- Impact by any Rail/ Road vehicle or animal
- Subsidence / Landslide including rockslide
- Bursting and / or overflowing of water tanks, apparatus
- Leakage form Automatic Sprinkler Installation
- Pollution or contamination resulting from any of the above perils
- Any insured peril resulting from pollution and contamination
- Bush Fire
The policy automatically covers the following expenses incurred following loss / damage / destruction of a covered property as a result of insured fire and allied perils.
Losses/ Expenses not covered include:
- 5% of each and every claim subject to minimum of Ugshs 100,000 resulting from fire and allied perils.
- 2.5 % of the sum insured for claims resulting from earthquakes.
- Expenses incurred on Architects, Surveyors’ Consultant Engineers fees and Debris Removal.
- Loss of earnings, loss by delay, loss of market or other consequential or indirect loss or damage of any kind.
- Loss of or damage to property occasioned by its own fermentation, natural heating or spontaneous combustion or its undergoing any heating or drying process.
Perils not covered include:
- War and allied perils
- Ionising radiations and contamination by radioactivity
- Pollution or Contamination
Properties not covered include:
- Items like manuscripts etc. unless specifically declared.
- Cold storage stocks due to change of temperature.
- Loss / damage/ destruction of any electrical and/or electronic machine,apparatus, fixture or fitting arising from over running, excessive pressure, short circuiting, arcing, self heating or leakage of electricity from whatever cause including lightning.
- Loss / damage / destruction of Boilers, Economisers or other Vessels in which steam is generated machinery or apparatus subject to Centrifugal force, by its own explosion/ implosion.
LOCATION OF RISK
- The proposer shall describe all locations where the properties are built or installed or stored or kept at the inception.
- Any change of location of risk shall be covered on intimation of such change.
- Change of ownership in the insured property shall be intimated so that the new owner may be covered by means of suitable endorsement.
- Any material change in the location of risk, trade or manufacturing activities shall be intimated to the insurer so that the changes are endorsed to offer continuous cover.
Note: Policy details given are indicative, not exhaustive. Please contact your nearest FICO office for further details.
How to claim
If an event giving rise to or likely to give rise to a claim under the policy comes to the insured’s knowledge, s/he shall immediately (within 24 hours) notify the insurer and within 14 days:
- Immediately notify the insurance company by phone, email, fax or in writing.
- Submit a Claim Form duly filled in to the insurance company.
- Give the insurer particulars of any other insurance covering the same event.
- Give the insurer written details of any claim.
- Give the insurer such proof, information and sworn declarations it may require from time to time and forward to the insurer immediately any document or details of any communication received in connection with a claim.
- In the case of theft give immediate notice to the police and take any other practicable steps to discover the thieves and recover any missing property.
- Take immediate steps to minimize the loss and ensure that all rights against any party who may be responsible for the loss are preserved.
The Insured shall tender to the insurance company all reasonable information, assistance and proofs in connection with any claim hereunder and shall, if required, make an Affidavit or Statutory declaration in substantiation of such claim.