The policy is specially designed to give financial protection to Civil Engineering Contractors in the event of an accident to the civil engineering works under construction.
WHO CAN TAKE OUT THE POLICY?
The policy can be taken out by the principal, contractor or sub contractor, jointly or separately.
The policy comprises of 2 Sections:
- Material Damage – covering physical loss, damage or destruction of the property insured by any cause, other than those specifically excluded in the policy.
- Third Party Liability – covering the legal liability falling on the insured contractor as a result of bodily injury or property damage belonging to a Third Party, other than those specifically excluded in the policy.
ADD ON COVERS
The policy can be extended to cover the following items:
- Clearing and removal of debris
- Construction equipment like scaffolding, shuttering materials
- Damage to surrounding property not forming part of the contract work.
- Maintenance visit / extended maintenance cover to cover accidental loss or damage whilst carrying out any rectification during maintenance period and / or any amount incurred for rectification of such original defects or faults during construction.
- Third party liability
PERIOD OF INSURANCE
Unlike other policies where the period of insurance is one year, in this policy the period of insurance should be equivalent to the period of the contract, commencing from the date of unloading of the first batch of material at the site of construction and expiring on the date of handing over of the contract work to the principal.
Although it is possible to extend the policy period in case of delays in completion of contract, it is always advisable to choose a slightly longer period of insurance initially, to avoid paying higher extension premiums.